Saturday, May 10, 2008

Viewers? Really?

Wow. I'm stunned. It appears that real people, besides me, are actually reading this cra......er....uhmm...these thoughtful musings of mine! HA! Ahem.....

On a side note, a really interesting thing happened to me today. I normally carry in a custom leather IWB holster. Today, I was slumming it a bit, and decided it would be okay if I popped down to the store wearing sweats. I had recently gotten a light weight nylon type IWB holster, the kind with a reversible metal clip that goes over your belt. (so us southpaws can use it)

So I hitched up the sweat pants, tied them securely, and adjusted the new rig. It was lighter than my old holster, and was quite comfortable. I wiggled around at every angle, crouched, stood up fast, bent over, and even jumped up and down a bit to make sure things were going to stay in place, and out I went. (I am glad no one saw me doing all that....woulda thought I needed my meds)

Anyway, I get to the store. I was going to just get some tea, but as it so happened lots of things started to look very good, and wanted me to buy them. So there I was.....armload of goodies standing at the counter, when all the sudden I feel the rig let loose from my waist and fall quickly down the inside of my pant leg! Fell all the way down and stopped with the muzzle resting on the top of my boot! THE HORROR! (my wife claims the horror I felt was from the fact that I was wearing sweats and boots in public, but I assure you it wasn't!)

So what to do? Line of people behind me, and the clerk looking at me funny. My mind went blank. (stupid brain) In a flash of panic, I threw all the stuff on the counter none too gently, and quickly knelt down to 'tie my shoe'. Realizing that I had my boots on, I shoved the end of the rig back up into my sweats a bit, and jammed the whole pant leg, rig, and all down into my boot. It did NOT fit. I jammed it in as best I could, stood slowly and grinned sheepishly at the rather annoyed clerk, and quickly paid for my stuff and limped the hell outta there!

I could feel the people staring at me! I got to the truck and got the rig fished out, stuck it back in my waistband, and hauled outta there.

When I got home, I set the rig on my computer desk, and busted out laughing as I realized I had left my goodies at the store! What a day!

Don't laugh! And I'm never wearing sweat pants again.....

Derius



4 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

Best laid plans, eh? It's amazing how things invent new ways to fail when we've already tried to consider every possible contingency. I'm going to get my HCL this summer, but I tend to wear a lot of really light fabrics, etc., so it's going to be interesting the ways I'll have to adapt my wardrobe and/or carry methods.

Best wishes with the blog-- so far, so good!

Xavier said...

Sweatpants means SmartCarry. The combination works superbly.

Good thing they didn't think you were a shoplifter.......Perhaps the folks in line did. Sweats are a shoplifter's favorite garment.

Derius Thoran said...

Phlegmfatale: Summer wardrobe change can be a challenge for sure. I often try different carry methods out with different rigs before using them in public. And a woman does always have the advantage of a purse or fanny pack without looking like a goof. :P

Xavier: Thought about that. Thanks for the link. Think I'm going to order and give that carry method a try. They are inexpensive enough to try it and be okay if it doesn't suit me.

Ed Skinner said...

Maybe the people in the store thought you were like the guy who asked his friend how to get more girls.
"Put a potato in your pants," his friend advised.
But two days later, still no interested girls.
So, he went back to his friend and asked what he should do.
The friend looked for a moment and then said, "Move the potato to the front."